Legend Point: Establishing permanent trust that you don’t have to earn over and over again is the single most powerful sales tool you have.
Persuasion and sales don’t just happen by magic. They’re the result of a process…one that always includes establishing some degree of trust. In order to feel comfortable doing business with you, a buyer has to assure themselves that they will get the value they expect. In other words, they want to be sure that you will deliver the goods…and take back the defective stuff. It’s only reasonable.
Consumers know that products and/or you…aren’t always perfect. It’s what will happen IN CASE of a problem that worries them. Your prospect needs to trust YOU as the person or business behind the product who will ensure customer loyalty.
How do YOU create Instant Trust?
Building Trust Anywhere, Even in the World of Fake News
Trust is the short cut to “Yes.” In fact, trust is often what PRECLUDES decision in the first place…the brain just says, “Yeah I like him. Do it.”
I’m going to use Internet Marketing as a metaphor for building trust in relationships, business, selling, marketing in the brick and mortar world….it’s ALL THE SAME.
In the world of Internet Marketing, several factors play into establishing trust and credibility for websites. (It’s obvious how these factors are important in offline advertising as well. Just substitute the words “website content” with “marketing copy.”)
- Is the website content valuable?
- Is the website content keeping them reading?
- Is the website content voluminous, showing a history?
It’s true that trust is built over time, but establishing trust with web site visitors, for example, doesn’t necessarily require a tremendous investment to yield results in a relatively short period.
Here are some quick pointers:
- Display your company contact information prominently on your web site — including address and phone number (This “legitimizes your business” and shows that you exist in real time and space. We have our contact info on over 3000 pages of KevinHogan DOT com
- Give away free stuff (Discounts, articles, reports, downloads, coupons, and trial offers attract visitors to your site and literally keep them coming back for more).
- Display policies about shipping, returns, online transactions, and information privacy on your site (This also “legitimizes your business” and offers evidence of your commitment to your customer’s well- being) If you don’t display return policies you will not ever “win” with the credit card companies when YOU are being scammed by that razor thin but devastating guy who steals from you. Good business practice protects your business as well as the consumer.
In other words, be transparent. Be authentic. Be real. Be You.
With more arrogant people walking the streets daily, it sometimes pays to be …just you.
That’s why this technique for building trust is excellent…