The Power of Influence – Dr. Kevin Hogan – Bucharest 16 March 2018
There are three factors in leadership that directly influence gaining compliance that no one is ever taught. They determine success and failure for a leader present and future.
Utilizing these skills changes both the effectiveness of your organization and the skills of the people below you so they are communicating with others at peak levels.
You speak with the people around you every day. Sometimes people do their work. Sometimes they do it well! Sometimes they fail, leave work incomplete or simply don’t do what they need to do.
You’ll learn to read body language giving you an immediate edge. A lot of people don’t want to admit to you that they have a problem. They might tell you they are further along on a project than they really are.
Kevin Hogan, Psy.D. will first take you through the most important aspects of body language. You’ll first learn the “universals.” These are body language cues, gestures, that are generally consistent across culture. You’ll first see how to read the body language signals and then be shown how to formulate an impression with your own body language cues and gestures.
Then Kevin will show you specific body language impression management for dealing with people outside of Bucharest. This portion of the module will help you increase your personal effectiveness and trigger liking and trust in others.
Did you know the average person lies 3 times in a 15-minute conversation? You’ll learn the basics of how to detect deception with body language. It can be particularly important to understand deception now that you will be able to see it, and how to respond so as to improve personal effectiveness while shifting the thinking of your employee.
The second module today will detail the most important aspects of nonverbal communication in influencing others to your way of thinking.
Nonverbal communication is all other silent communication that is not body language. This is the choice of rooms, choice of seating, use of space, knowing what floor of a building to ask a question, deciding where to ask for agreement and compliance and WHEN. For example, the color of a wall and the background sounds can easily make or break gaining agreement instantly. Do you know what kind of a drink to offer your staff when you want them to follow through on projects with a strong desire to succeed? (What about your relationship partner at home?) Some drinks almost guarantee a “no” response. Others make “yes” easy. No one ever talks about these aspects of gaining agreement, yet they determine the majority of answers!
The third module of the day will cover the most important and the latest research in persuasion and influence. We need the latest to have an edge over the competition. We need the best to know what we should really be using to gain agreement. You’ll also learn how to overcome resistance and reactance of those around you. The other person WILL BE resistant to you when they talk with you. YOU must bring the wall down FIRST THEN trigger identification, gain empathy and ask the right question and hear the RIGHT story from the other person long before you can seriously ask and expect to gain compliance. I will lay it out for you step by step for different contexts.
What else will you learn today in the Power of Influence?
- WHEN – By the end of the day you’ll know when to set appointments and meetings and when to have them. I’ll show you the days of the week and hours of the day. If you learn just this and have your company leaders implement these key ideas, you’ll grow your business dramatically.
- WHERE – You’ll know where to meet people to increase the probability of getting follow through.
- Where to stand and sit. Whether at a boardroom table or a meeting in a big hall or event room, you’ll learn where you need to sit AND where the others need to be perceived as believable, attractive and interesting.
- You’ll find out why walking up the stairs while talking can make or break more deals than ever dreamed possible.
- Which ear a person hears a message in changes “yes” into “no” or the reverse. You’ll need to control this when you are on the phone. It could double your effectiveness or cut it in half. Do this right.
- How to respond to the body language of another person so as to change their mind.
- How to know when the time to sit closer or further away is at hand. People are repelled easily by others. Here’s how people will WANT you to move CLOSER.
- How to gain credibility in the eyes of those who need to see you in a better light or they simply won’t respect and appreciate you.
- How speaking slower or faster will bring the other person into compliance or agreement…or not.
- How to use a tiny tool in your office that costs almost nothing to increase the speed of getting things done on the part of everyone around you. This tiny tool can help you trigger “yes.”
- How to close an email for greatest compliance.
- What not to say at the beginning of the email that will shut people off immediately.
- The best questions to ask to bring two people closer together and make an almost unbreakable connection.
- How to have your current team members or (future) clients, share The Story that typically brings them to say, “yes.”
- How to be seen as desirable and different than every other person they will talk with this year!
- What color to wear to increase impulsive choice.
- What color to wear to increase calm and relaxed emotions.
- Secrets of having someone Identify with you as someone who has something very important in common with them. Being part of the group is critical. Now you are part of their group. And…you must create the ongoing loyalty of others being part of the corporate group as well as YOUR own personal team.
- Expectancy is arguably one of the 5 most important skills of persuasion. You’ll learn how to use expectancy to improve your perception of authority, power, expertise and to watch others get things done faster and better than they ever have done in the past.
Kevin will stay until the last autograph is signed. If you want to meet Kevin Hogan, you’ll get that chance. Have a question for him? Bring it to the event. You WILL get a chance to ask it and Kevin will answer it.
This one day may not just make your business better at every level, it might just change your life forever as you learn that over 70% of influence tools that you learn today will be able to be used to make yourself more effective, smarter, and self-motivated. You’re already a critically important leader, wouldn’t it be nice to get almost anything you want in life that money doesn’t buy? Kevin will close the day with this discussion.