An introduction to Mind Imaging Technology (TM) by Kevin Hogan
Selling, Marketing, Therapy and Coaching are very similar processes. When teaching people these skills, you have to first unplug all of the “skill training” that was previously taught, because it doesn’t work. Most people don’t sell, market, do therapy, coach or consult, because they have no scientifically based training to do so. A salesman is given a canned presentation, a therapist is given a canned script to read to his client, a marketer has a canned message that they presented to a focus group. None of these things works. To be sure, they all entail the use of metaphors, but they are the wrong person’s metaphors. The only metaphors that matters are those of the client or the customer.
I learned Ericksonian Hypnosis in 1987. I found it interesting and somewhat useful in some situations in interpersonal communication but it missed in so many ways. The entire power base of influential communication is within the mind of the client/customer, and no metaphor that means something to me is remotely as powerful as a metaphor that means something to the client. The interesting thing is that most clients and customers have
- a) No idea why they behave as they do
- b) No idea why they buy the products they do
- c) No idea that what they tell interviewers in focus groups in no way represents reality.
- d) No idea what they will really do in the future.
Most sales people, therapists and coaches believe that
- a) people think like they do
- b) people believe the same things they do
- c) their view of their own products and services is the same as the “norm.”
- d) you can present information in a canned or scripted fashion and it will get most people to buy or be influenced by the presentation.
And that’s why almost all new products fail.
That’s why most therapists fail.
That’s why most coaches, consultants aren’t worth a farthing…
…and it’s why this incredible skill of eliciting and modeling your clients and your customers’ metaphors is absolutely certain to put you, your business and your products and services into the top 3% in your field…whatever it is.
What’s better for you? I can tell 1000 people this information and only 35 will actually utilize this material after today, because people are inherently averse to change. Change involves effort and we live in a society where complacency is not only tolerated, but rewarded. If I were to personally train you and your company in metaphor and mind imaging technology you would be much more inclined to utilize these tools, but until then only the top 3% will take action and begin implementation.
Here’s where we start. Before I can show you the incredible power of metaphors in the process of marketing, selling, therapy, coaching or consulting (really any business that involves human interaction and influence), I want YOU to feel and experience the power. Then MAYBE you will be one of the 35 who will use this life enhancing material after today.
Now, this is like a workshop in an article. It will take you TIME (oh my god). You will have to THINK (Oh My God) and you will have to MOVE (OH MY GOD). Here is this amazingly profound life changing process:
MIND IMAGING TECHNOLOGY (TM)
The Self Discovery and Life Purpose Project (copyright 2001 by Kevin Hogan)
1) Go through your scrap books and magazines, and newspapers in your home and at your house. Find 12 pictures, images, art, drawings, poems, songs, that depict something about you. At least one of these mentioned images should somehow embody each of these:
2) Take these dozen images and photocopy them if possible.
3) Take the photocopies (don’t cut up heirlooms for this project but go ahead and cut up the magazines) and create a collage of the images. Put the collage onto a 2′ by 3′ piece of tag board which you can get at an office supply store. Arrange the collage in any order you wish before gluing or taping the copies to the board.
4) Once you have glued the copies to the board sit 4-6 feet from the board and ask yourself each of these questions and respond in detail.
- a) What does this specific image represent to me?
- b) How specifically does it do so?
- c) What else does this image represent to me?
- d) How does it do so?
- e) What else does this image represent to me?
- f) How does it do so?
5) Do this process taking copious notes for each of the dozen or so images you selected. Be very detailed and thorough in your work. Remember that some images may represent your desires and your values…or your past and your dreams.
6) Record what you have learned about yourself, your history, your experience, your future, your values, dreams and desires from this exercise.
7) Circle those things that you wrote down that you rarely have thought about in the past year. Put a dotted line around those words, sentences and paragraphs that you’ve considered but now realize you wish to attend to more often. Draw a key next to the FIVE most important distinctions and elements about yourself that you want to keep in the forefront of your life to give it the most emotional energy possible every day.
8) As you consider these five images, distinctions, facets of your life what feelings do you experience? How might those feelings be useful to living your life purpose?
(In our next article in the series we’ll talk about how to utilize metaphors with clients and customers!)
If you are excited about the idea of taking control of your destiny, you will want:
A Course in Metaphors: Introduction to Advanced Metaphor Mastery with Kevin Hogan
An advanced home study program in changing behavior, learning and reprogramming minds.
- Volume 1 – Making Metaphors That Captivate Them
- Volume 2 – The Secret Code to Making Magic Happen with Words
- Volume 3 – Hypnotic Metaphors of Attraction
Who will benefit from this?
- Marketing People
- People in Relationships
- Anyone who needs to gain compliance in any situation
This course in utilizing metaphors includes almost all new information to you and is nothing like you have ever thought of or learned before. Better: You’re going to see why most people teaching and using metaphor are ineffective (whether in selling, therapy or relationships) and how to avoid the same mistakes they make. Then you are going to learn to elicit, construct and communicate metaphors that will literally begin to reformat the hardware of their minds.
You haven’t learned anything like this from Bandler, Robbins or even Milton Erickson. They all had pieces to the puzzle. By the time you are done with all the CD’s in this series you will be a master at understanding and communicating in metaphor.