If you can successfully overcome resistance and reactance in selling and persuasion in general, you can sell far more than you ever imagined possible. Now you can.
From what we already know about influence, people make knee jerk reactions to requests for compliance on issues. We often say, “NO!” without knowing why…it simply “feels” right.
From the point of view of persuasion it’s important to not allow that “No!” reaction to take place, and if it does to disarm it as rapidly as possible. Once a person has taken a public stand on an issue it is increasingly more difficult to get them to change their mind.
In the Psychology of Persuasion, you learned about the Law of Consistency. Generally speaking this law states that people will behave in a way that they believe is consistent with their past statements about an issue, and, their past behaviors about an issue. This is backed up by numerous studies in social psychology.
Even more interesting is that research shows (Tykocinski & Pittman, 1998) that once people pass up on an “opportunity” once, they will almost certainly pass up on that same opportunity in the future. So, in the case of the lottery ticket holder, their behavior sets a precedent. Once someone passes up an opportunity, no matter how positive, they tend to decide that way in the future as well.
In general, people will avoid doing something that could be in their best interest simply because they have done so in the past.
Dr. Matthew Crawford of the University of Arkansas did an experiment where a confederate was placed in the room with subject after subject. The confederate would encourage the subjects to bet on his choice of the winner of a given football game. The confederate working for Crawford would say, “You DEFINITELY have to pick Team X.”
Crawford would soon discover some interesting things…
Half the subjects were instructed to notice and record how much they would regret their decisions if they chose X and Y won vs. they choose Y and X won. In the end the majority of the subjects said they would feel much worse defying (choosing team Y) and losing vs. complying (going with Team X) and losing. Results? 73% complied with the confederate and chose Team X.
BUT, when subjects were NOT asked to consider how they would feel about their decision (no instruction was given at all) if they chose X and Y won, or Y and X won, things were very different. Only 24% of this group chose Team X!
Without the contemplation to consider the regrets they would have, people typically responded with a polarity response, also known as a cognitive reactance. They have a knee jerk, “NO!” response, hardwired into their brain.
Finally, in Crawford’s study, all subjects were informed that their team lost. Results: Those who complied with the confederate felt much worse than those who reacted with a polarity response. (People are lousy at predicting their future feelings!)
$10,000 KEY: Having the subjects focus on the regret of both complying and reacting (polarizing) helped increase compliance and overcome resistance.
I know what you are thinking! You are thinking HOW could it be that actually putting attention on the negative, “No I will not, I am a free person and I will do as I please!” help subjects to be persuaded to do what they are resistant to?!
The question makes total sense. The fact is that people would LIKE to comply if they can see a way to do so. They simply don’t want to feel bad (regrets) about it…so the best thing to do is to “go there” and look what happens if they do AND don’t comply. This very EXERCISE of looking at BOTH sides increases the chance of compliance dramatically.
Look at the results of accumulated research:
When a confederate is in the room and supposedly siding with the person/subject who we are trying to persuade the confederate can actually “help our cause” by defiantly standing up for the point of view held by the subject. The confederate literally can say, “I haven’t made up my mind. It’s my choice, and I’ll choose what I want.”
According to Crawford, “This reinstatement of personal freedom, a release from reactance, actually increases the percentage of participants who choose Alternative A, BEYOND that of a group that NEVER had its personal freedom threatened. (Worchel & Brehm 1971). Thus the arousal of reactance and the subsequent reduction of this resistance is an effective way to INCREASE compliance.” (All emphasis mine.)
The four steps:
- The participants/person’s/subjects “freedom of choice” is “threatened.”
- Focus on the persons feelings of the threat to their freedom.
- The threat is negated.
- Persuasion is accomplished with future regret verbalized or focusing ON the threat to personal freedom as above.
The key is to go quickly beyond “reaction” on the person’s part which is an UNCONSCIOUS reaction…and “focus on anticipated regret” which is conscious and controllable. By doing this we dramatically increase compliance. You might feel that this is counterintuitive but it overcomes the reaction, knee jerk, “NO!” response!
Who wants to learn how to APPLY all of the techniques, strategies, and tactics of influence that you have been learning for the past two years in the Science of Influence Library?
That’s what I thought.
Well, you are in for a treat, because have I got an influence treat for you! Science of Influence Part III focuses on the newest information available about reactance and resistance in persuasion. You’ll find cutting-edge research that you haven’t seen yet which shows that there are four specific manifestations of resistance (unconscious instantaneous resistance).
You are going to learn how to utilize the other person’s resistance so that it works to the favor of the persuasion process. No one has ever talked about this before.
Obviously, that information alone would be enough to justify any “price.” But you know me…
Did you know that putting reactance into a story reduces or eliminates the resistance? I’ll show you what the research says and how to do it. Raising unconscious resistance (reactance) can help eliminate (in part or whole). I’m going to show you how.
Discussing bogus information from sources that lack in credibility can raise your ability to influence or send resistance through the roof. I’ll show you how to avoid the train wreck and make it all work.
Your wishes have come true. A number of devoted students and masters of influence asked me to give you my proven applications of the selling and persuasion techniques that you have learned about in the Science of Influence Library. These full length CD’s accomplish an outcome no one has ever been able to achieve. You will learn the absolute most cutting edge material in sales techniques, belief change and influence then learn how to apply them. Bonus? You’ll learn applications of the most powerful material from the prior 30 CD’s in the Library.
What can you learn that no one has shared with you before?
- An integrated template that allows you to model a successful sales presentation utilizing techniques learned in the Science of Influence.
- The absolute single most important factor in influence. Learn how to make it part of your personality…because it probably isn’t…yet!
- Your counterpart needs to be in a very specific frame of mind the moment you ask the big question. I’m going to reveal specifically how I do it, then give you the research showing other proven modalities.
- Six specific ways to keep resistance at bay. Once you’ve overcome it, you need to stop the tide from rolling in again…and it will if you don’t handle it with these six techniques.
- The single most important determining factor in reading their mind.
- I take you through numerous step by step processes for applying everything I have uncovered in the field of persuasion and influence and make it manageable for you.
- The 5 most common mistakes experts make in influence and persuasion. I promise you do all of these things. I did. When you eliminate them…well you tell me…
- The reason that the prescription you prescribe that will at first seem perfect for your client will cause them to bolt. Stop it now.
- Learn how to overcome desperation on your part or the client’s part. Desperation is the single biggest killer in one on one influence.
- Secret: Persuasion is most effective when it is interactive. Here is how to accomplish that!
- Dealing with buyer’s remorse in advance…and when it happens. How to turn buyers remorse into long term permanent loyalty.
- Why telling your counterpart the most sensible, easiest, fastest way to accomplish their goal will kill your sale. How to beat the problem before it brings out the ax…
Of course there is more.
You don’t need to have listened to the prior CDs to gain full benefit from this program. If you have mastered the prior library of CDs, I absolutely guarantee you that this program will make you wonder how you could have possibly had more to learn, to utilize, to create change, to solidify your expertise and become the ultimate master of persuasion.