If I asked you the following question:
“Why should I choose your business/product/service versus any/every other competitive option available to me?”
What would you say?
Could you articulate your response clearly and concisely, in one paragraph or less, why I should do business with you over your competition? Or:
Are you at a loss for words?
Now, if answering my initial question stops you in your tracks, then read this brief article if you’re eager to discover a secret marketing weapon that will help you out-perform and out-earn your competition!
So lets begin.
First off, in order to stand above a crowded market place, you or your company must offer your prospect or client a unique and distinct benefit OR advantage above and beyond that of your competitors.
And if you don’t:
People will have no motivation to do business with you instead of your competition.
Thus, you must identify and understand what it is – you or your company do or can start doing for your clients that offers them with a tangible result or an advantage SUPERIOR to your competition.
This is called your *unique selling proposition*. Also known as USP.
Make no mistake: it’s your USP that will set you apart from every other “me too” competitor.
And, once you clearly identify what that distinct advantage is, you must then integrate it into all of your promotional, marketing, advertising, and selling operations.
The more clearly you communicate what makes you the better choice (offering more benefits, advantages, and bottom line payoff), the more often they’ll choose doing business with you versus your competition.
Obviously, your USP can touch any part of the marketing spectrum – price, service, quality, exclusivity, or any other aspect of your business.So if you want to join the tiny fraction of all business professionals who adopt a dynamic USP, let me ask you again:
“What sets you apart from your competition?”
Here’s the thing. Don’t hurry this process. Think about what you do. And also think about what your competitors do, or don’t do, and how you could do it better.
Now, as you think about your answer, let me give you three good examples of companies that have risen above the crowd as a result of their USP:
- When Domino’s first hit the scene, do you remember what they said? Fresh, hot pizza delivered in 30 minutes or less – or it’s yours absolutely free.
Back when they started, Domino’s was the first and only company to do that. In fact, their USP was so remarkable that they virtually owned the market for years.
- Federal Express invented, built, and dominated an industry because of a commitment to on-time, as promised delivery.
- Monastic Minds Inc. (their website is located at http://www.monasticminds.com) offers meditation training and supplies as well as spiritually-based life coaching. Their unique approach to helping people empower themselves with their own spirituality without trying to sell them something has significantly improved the company’s sales and profits.
Now, I can almost hear your mind saying:
“How do I come up with a USP?”
Although, the possibilities for building a USP are unlimited, it’s best that you embrace a USP that addresses an obvious void in the marketplace or within your industry that you can fill, such as:
- A broad selection
- Big discounts
- Better advice, service, assistance, or installation help
- Convenience (i.e., location, immediately delivery)
- Top-of-the-line products or services
- Speedy service
- Hours of operation (i.e., your business is open 24/7, weekend hours)
- A longer guarantee
- Finest quality at a higher but still reasonable price
- Celebrity endorsement
The point is to focus on the ONE niche, need, or gap that is most sorely lacking – in your marketplace – provided you can keep the promise you make. So be sure your USP is *unique* and that you can fulfill it. Good luck.
Article submitted by:
“On-time direct mail, e-mail and website copywriting, No excuses.”
You can consult with me for $250 per hour – or you can get some of my best marketing strategies in a NEW report titled “7 More Ways to Out-Perform and Out-Earn Your Competition” for only $24.95. If my special report doesn’t make money for you, just return it to me for a full refund anytime in the future. On that basis, mail your check to 10744 Waterford Place, West Palm Beach, Florida 33412.
Where Can You Find More Information Like This?
Science of Influence: The Master’s Home Study Course CD Set Volumes 1-12
by Kevin Hogan
Here are just some of the incredible things you will learn when you receive the first 12 cds in the series:
- Discover which of the desire to gain or the fear of loss is TRULY the far greater motivator and how to harness that power in your persuasive messages.
- Learn what may be the single most important element of influence you have ever been introduced to. I have NEVER released this information on audio, video or in manual form
- Discover how skeptical and non-skeptical people perceive and respond to persuasive messages in a VERY different fashion. (Hint: If you don’t know this information you will automatically lose almost 1/4 of all of your encounters.)
- Ethical techniques to hypnotically enter another person’s mind and reshuffle their deck!
- The one way that reciprocity can blow up and completely backfire.
- How to prepare your unconscious mind to always present the right body language at the right time.
- There is one KEY factor in making your clients decisions permanent: Here it is!
- How to specifically use Hypnotic Confusion in influential messages.
- The One Question that someone MUST say “Yes” to every time!
- The most effective non-coercive way to gain compliance on record.
- How do you create metaphors…based upon the person/audience you are speaking to?
- So much more!