Hello Britney Spears…hello rising stock prices for Pepsi Cola.
Coca Who? Quick who is Coca Cola’s sexy super model?
Right…Pepsi has Britney Power. Coke has floundered during the same period. That face, those abs…they move Pepsi out of the store like Viagra moves Bob Dole. It was one year ago this week that Britney burst onto the Pepsi scene. Pepsi’s stock has soared 25% since that evening last March 19 and Coca Cola has…well…KO hasn’t broke out of a 5 point trading range in the same year. (Aside: I do think KO is in for a better 2002 regardless of Britney Power but they will need to have some “heavy guns” to compete.)
Images, sounds and words are what each of us has to sell whatever it is we sell. Whether you are a therapist or a top level account executive, you have words, sounds and pictures to sell. That’s about it.
If I could get you Britney Spears on the cheap to close each appointment for you, I’d do it for you, but that girl just is out of your price range. What I can do for you is this: I can give you the next best thing to Britney Power. I can give you the formula to discover the Magic Words that Sell Your Market.
I’ve used this formula to help companies improve their bottom line in marketing. I love the formula and claim no originality for it although it has definitely been a secret for a long time. This formula was shared with me a few years ago by a sharp marketing man who learned it from …well…I can’t tell you. This really is one of my favorite consulting tools and I think you will find it invaluable.
Images, words and sounds.
Let me ask you this: What would happen if you could model the success of the leaders in your field or marketplace and you could raise your ranking for you and your business? Yep, it probably would be a good thing.
I learned a few years ago that one of the things that is important in marketing and promoting your self or your business (products, services, ideas) is the exact words that persuade the minds of the buyer.
Each industry has certain words that simply sell like crazy while other words are meaningless or detract from an advertisement or promotional material.
What are the most powerful phrases in your specific industry? Is there a way to know what words are changing minds for your competitors? Here’s the formula that will allow you to finally get the inside information…because it’s all on the outside…in front of your eyes…
- Find the most successful products in your category. If you sell aspirin to retail stores you will select Advil, Tylenol, Bayer, etc. Go buy one of each off the shelf, bring them back to the office/house and do this exercise. (If you are selling cars, you may just want to track current print and commercial ads as buying the top 10 cars could get expensive.)
- Rank the products first by total gross sales. Assign the best selling product a value of 10. The next best a value of 9 and so on. You will weigh each word based upon the value assigned to it. A company’s advertising that sold 10 bottles of aspirin doesn’t receive as much weight as a company that sold 1,000,000 bottles. If you want to get more precise, assign an exact number to each product based upon the exact gross percentage of market each product has.
- Write out each word that appears on the label of the product on a sheet of paper. (Ignore ingredients and consumer warnings in this specific case.) In the case of Tylenol, there are several hundred words on the label of the box I’m holding. Here are some of the words that are in the biggest and boldest fonts.
- A) Easy
- B) Swallow
- C) Extra
- D) Strength
- E) Pain
- F) Reliever
- G) Fever
- H) Reducer
- I) Geltabs
- J) Exclusive
- K) Gelkote
- L) Process
Of course no one cares about the “Gelkote process” but the marketing big shots at Johnson and Johnson will figure this out and replace those words at a later date. Aside from this error, the people who make Tylenol are using the magic words and hitting all the hot buttons. )
- After all of the words have been cataloged move to your next competitor and write down all of the words on their packaging.
- Put a check mark on a master sheet that lists all the words on all the packages of all of your competitors by each word so you can count the frequency of the word in all of your top competitors. For example: If Gelkote is listed on all of your top competitors packaging, you know that it belongs on yours. However, it’s not there, don’t put it on yours! Instead, I bet you will be using PAIN, RELIEVER, FEVER, REDUCER, EXTRA, PRESCRIPTION, and STRENGTH. These are the words that are going to be on all the top products in the analgesic group.
- Therefore you will model the success of the 10, 9, 8 and 7’s in your industry! It would have taken you MILLIONS of dollars to find out this information in test marketing, however you are getting it for the price of two hours work.
But what if you don’t sell a product? What if you sell a service or own a restaurant or you sell mutual funds? Find the advertising from all of your top competitors, the boys at the top of the totem pole and do the exact same process. Find out the frequency of words and phrases that all the companies at the top are using. These then become the words and phrases you want to model for your written communication with your clients. Of course knowing that these are the words that got your clients to buy your competitors products gives you some pretty amazing advanced intelligence doesn’t it?!
Sell cereal? Your key words that make you buy cereal that are boldly posted on the front of the cereal box are “Naturally Sweetened” and “(specific number like 9,11,14) Vitamins and Minerals.” A close third is “A good source of” (calcium, fiber, etc.). Now not every cereal will have these words on the front. But you can bet that most will if they want to sell their product. These are the words that consumer are buying…even on kids cereals. They are Mom’s unconscious justification for purchasing this …product… for their growing children.
It’s your turn now. Find websites, ads, products and services that are making the biggest splash in your field or industry. Then do a word analysis. Total time investment: About 1/2 day to analyze the top few products/ads/services. Total value to your company? You got it.
Now, I have a question for you… This process is sometimes worth about $1-4,000 in an $8,000 consulting day for me. (Can you imagine what other secrets lurk here if I’m giving this away today? WHY is Kevin doing this?!?!?!) 🙂
…Where else can you get gold like this? Kevin Hogan Super Store!
Secrets of Sales Success
with Kevin Hogan
FOUR DVD program
I’ve never believed you should just get out there and knock on doors or make phone calls. My belief is that you should let everyone buy from you. But almost no one sells like that. Sales is art and science and for people who want to sell more than the “average” you need better than average new information to compete. It’s that simple.
Asked to put together an inexpensive program that incorporates what you want most to sell more, I’ve taken these DVD’s and put them together into one program that is heavily discounted for your acquisition.
Here’s what you get:
DVD ONE: Selling Yourself to Others: 21 Key Ideas in Selling (That No One Ever Taught You!)
People buy YOU not just your products and services. This brand DVD contains new selling strategies never released before based upon scientific advances in behavioral genetics and tested in real life selling situations! This one hour presentation will help you increase your sales in a scientific fashion. Best? It’s amazingly easy to learn and apply this material!
DVD TWO: The 10 Laws of Persuasion
Taped “live” in a beautiful television studio at a Fortune 500 company, Kevin Hogan gives you the foundation for persuasive communication. Whether you are a leader in business, own your own business, or are a salesperson, you cannot successfully gain compliance without knowledge of the laws of persuasion.
In order to fully comprehend the process of persuasion, you must understand some basic concepts, or principles, of persuasion. These concepts provide the foundation for the paradigm of persuasion.
Included are the nine principles that come into play in daily life as well as in persuasion settings, whether you’re a salesperson, public speaker, consumer, husband, wife, father or friend. These are the Laws of Persuasion.
DVD THREE: The Attraction Principle: How to Manifest Your Every Desire in Life
Learn the difference between success and failure in bringing about what you desire in your life. What is the EXACT formula that will enable you to manifest the dreams and desires you have been nurturing? Learn it all here. Kevin Hogan presents his Attraction Principle.
DVD FOUR: 21st Century Selling: Selling the Way People BUY!
Learn all the key triggers that cause people to buy in the new millennium. Based upon cutting edge research into sales psychology and years of experience, you will learn how to be the obvious answer to many of your clients’ problems.
You will discover how to program the neurology of your brain so you literally FIND success in selling yourself. You’ll also learn how to create the outcomes of sales interviews BEFORE they happen. Most importantly, you will uncover the secrets of developing personal mastery…the focal point of how most of your customers will judge you and deem you worthy or not of buying from.
Everything in this presentation has been TESTED in real life by real salespeople whose lives depend on their making the sale. Every concept, strategy, tactic and game-plan in this program has been PROVEN successful at raising your closing ratio and igniting your personal self motivation levels to new highs.
Altogether you get over four hours of truly astonishing information. Easily worth thousands of dollars, this is the equivalent of Kevin’s $25,000 one day sales training.